Monday, October 20, 2008

John Holmes 50K


OK, so a marathon is nice. and if a 5K is good, a marathon is better, then ultras must be the best, right? to an alcoholic of course; more is better. Since I couldn't get up to Hartford, or chicago for that matter, I decided to go ultra and do the John Holmes 50K. I thought John Holmes had something to do with the extra length, but apparently he was a race director early on, possibly.



here's a video (I hope) i am there at 2:37 and 4:37. I do not look cool. I need a nice running top.

and a picture of my less than stellar 6 hour finishing time.

But, when i say less than stellar, what i really mean is that i had no idea that I was in the lead for my age group. I had a goal time of 5 hours, and when it started slipping away, i cared less about time and more about finishing. I stopped at the last rest stop and picked up my bag, and got ready to get to the finish line. That's when #35 came flying through and finished before me. I never even considered that he was now taking 1st place in the age group. could I have asked?

Lesson: Half measures avail us nothing.

No comments: